Distracted Driving Accidents (Cellphone-Related Accidents)
Accidents related to distracted driving happen all too often and trends continue to show that more and more drivers are doing everything but paying attention to the road and their surroundings. Here are just a few of the disturbing facts from the official US Government site on distracted driving:
- 40% of all American teens say they have been in a car when the driver used a cell phone in a way that put people in danger.
- Drivers who use hand-held devices are 4 times more likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves.
- Text messaging creates a crash risk 23 times worse than driving while not distracted.
- Driving while using a cell phone reduces the amount of brain activity associated with driving by 37%.
Distracted driving accidents include anything that might divert attention from the task at hand. As instant communication, on-board navigation, and various other electronics guide all aspects of our daily lives, the list of potential distractions continues to grow.
- Using cellular phones / smartphones
- Paying attention to navigation systems
- Personal grooming
- Distractions from children or pets in car
- Adjusting radios
We frequently handle cases involving distracted drivers. If you have been involved in an accident, please contact us for a consultation.